The German lighting makers have certainly been hard at work this year. Before Photokina even begins in Cologne, many of the host country’s firms have already unveiled an array of innovations in photographic lighting.
This one may not be strictly German, but it’s still a first. The Emoblitz Hybrid Flash Di390 is a third-party automatic speedlight offering TTL flash firing either from its main or secondary flash tubes, or both at once. Previous “twin flashes” have TTL control limited to the main head only.
Some manufacturers will over-promise or under-deliver but Hensel have been exemplary this year by doing quite the opposite. The established German manufacturer are to introduce a whole host of new lights and accessories at Photokina, including:
- Speed Max 500, capable of over 31 flashes per second
- Integral 300 Mini, compact flash with basic features
- Expert D, high-end monolights controllable by Profoto or Hensel wireless systems
- Lithium battery module for the Porty Premium generator – lighter and longer lasting
- Nova D, essentially a mains-only Porty pack
- Radio-controlled versions of the 600J and 1200J Porty Lithium series
The Profilux Plus 600 is to be replaced with Multiblitz‘s Profilux Plus 800. The 800 model offers higher light intensity, a wider range of power control and remote adjustment via the new TriggerHappy 2.4GHz system. This adds to existing features such as Propac battery support, the P accessory bayonet and universal voltage. The new version will match the old at a RRP of €941.
An entirely new Germany manufacturer (a phrase we don’t get to say often), Priolite was started last year by former Hensel director, Joachim Renschke. At Photokina the firm is to debut two top-of-the-range studio flashes, the M500 and its battery-powered cousin the MB500. Both models have the following features:
- 500J (500Ws)
- Full 2.4GHz remote control (up to 36 channels)
- Bowens S bayonet
- 5 stop power range with 1/10 stop increments
- LED modelling lamp (equivalent to 100W)
- Made in Germany
- 2 year warranty
The MB500, with its lithium ion battery integrated into the flash head, is possibly unprecedented in portable lighting. A full charge is claimed to provide around 400 flashes at full power, with a recycle time of less than 3 seconds. You will be able to find out more about the new Priolite products (including more information in English) on their web site as the trade show gets underway.