A new speedlight has been released that offers both Canon and Nikon wireless TTL capability in one unit. The Oloong SP-660 Mark II is ostensibly a manual flash with only one electrical contact on its foot. However, like the Yongnuo YN-565EX it supports Canon Wireless E-TTL and Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting.
So then, the Oloong SP-660II is merely a “dumb” manual flash when mounted on your camera hotshoe, but can be controlled wirelessly in both manual and TTL modes when used off-camera. This will work in conjunction with a Nikon SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, SU-800, Canon 580EX, 580EX II, ST-E2, Yongnuo ST-E2 or a Canon or Nikon DSLR with Commander mode.
- Guide number (GN) of 50 at 180mm
- Electronic zoom from 24-180mm
- Wireless TTL and manual control for Canon and Nikon
- Manual mode only when used on-camera, with basic radio triggers or optical slave modes
- Power adjustment from full to 1/128 power (22 steps)
- External power input for high voltage battery packs (Canon CP-E4 type)
- Prontor/Compur (PC) synchronisation port
- Metal hotshoe foot
- LCD control panel with backlighting
- Overheat protection circuit
- Recycle time of around 2 seconds
The Yongnuo YN-565EX has similar features but with TTL through the hotshoe – making separate models for Canon and Nikon necessary. As the Oloong SP-660II has only manual contacts, only one model is needed, helping drive down costs.Â Consequently, the retail price of the Oloong flash is priced around US$70 less than the Yongnuo – a major saving for photographers who don’t need or want on-camera TTL support.
Oloong’s line-up of speedlights now looks like this:
|Model||GN||Power||Zoom||Hotshoe TTL||Wireless TTL|
|SP-660||35||Full - 1/256||No||No||No|
|SP-660 II||50||Full - 1/128||Manual|
|No||Nikon + Canon|
|SP-680||35||Full - 1/128||No||i-TTL or E-TTL||No|
|SP-690||50||Full - 1/128||Manual + Auto|
|i-TTL or E-TTL||No|
Where to buy
The Oloong SP-660II speedlight is available now from eBay sellers for around US$106.00, including a case, mini stand and diffuser cap. Buy before the end of the month (from certain sellers) and you’ll also get a free aperture ring wristband – a nice gift for the photographer in your life!
For more detailed technical information and product images, pleaseÂ consult the eBay listings.