A new speedlight on the market is compatible with Nikon Advanced Wireless Lighting (AWL). The Oloong SP-690 Mark II offers all the features of the original SP-690Â with the addition of wireless Commander (master) and slave modes for use as part of an i-TTL Creative Lighting System (CLS) flash setup.
It is therefore possible to have an entirely Oloong-made wireless CLS arrangement, using an SP-690 II as the master and SP-660 IIs (or other SP-690 IIs) as slaves. By contrast, Yongnuo does not offer a speedlight with master mode (but there is a Yongnuo ST-E2Â transmitter for Canon).
At a price of $160, the Oloong SP-690 II could be the cheapest speedlight available right now that includes Master/Commander mode for Nikon CLS.
Legacy features from the firstÂ SP-690 include:
- Guide number of 50 (at 180mm zoom setting)
- Large backlit LCD screen
- Fine-tuned control including manual adjustment down to 1/256 of full power
- 2 second recycle time with Ni-MH batteries (5 seconds with alkalines)
- Tilting, swivelling head that can zoom from 24 – 180mm
- Stroboscopic function: multiple flashes from 1 to 100 Hertz
- Autofocus-assist lamp
- ‘Ready’ and warning beeps
- Overheating protection circuit
Unfortunately no Canon E-TTL version of the SP-690 II has been announced so far.
Where to buy
The Oloong SP-690 II for Nikon costs US$160 and is available to order online from Meking Studio and other sellers. For official information, please visit the manufacturer’s web site (in Chinese).