Profoto has officially announced the A10, its latest hotshoe flash, calling it ‘the last on-camera flash you’ll ever need’. As predicted, the Profoto A10 is an upgraded A1X, with added Bluetooth AirX control so you can synchronise it with a smartphone.
The company’s tagline is ‘the flash for life’, which is something that cannot be said for the previous two iterations of this unit (the A1 and A1X), which were each discontinued after about a year. The motivation behind the slogan seems to be that smartphones are the future, and you’ll be able to keep using the A10 even when interchangeable-lens cameras are but a distant memory.
The promotional literature emphasises the A10’s ease of use, making flash photography more accessible for ‘natural light shooters’. In a press release, Profoto senior marketing manager Niklas Jonasson said: “It should come as no surprise that since we created this whole new category for flash, back in 2017, more natural light shooters have embraced flash thanks to the Profoto A1 and A1X. And we fully expect that trend to continue with the A10 because ease-of-use is paramount.”
Of course, some might argue it is expensive as an entry-level option, but Profoto says it is a ‘must-have tool’ for seasoned professionals as well.
Specifications are basically the same as the A1X, with the key addition being Bluetooth AirX integration—a feature already built into the Profoto B10. This lets you use the Profoto A10 as a flash with the camera of an iPhone.
If you think DSLRs and mirrorless cameras still have some life in them yet, the unit also has 2.4GHz AirTTL support, letting you use it in TTL autoflash and high-speed sync mode and trigger or be triggered by other Profoto flashes and triggers. There are variants of the A10 for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fujifilm. You can use it off-camera with Olympus and Panasonic via the Profoto AirTTL remotes.
- Round head flash design, with Profoto Clic magnetic accessories
- Works with Profoto Air, AirTTL and Connect triggers
- ‘Smart Connectivity’ with Profoto app for iOS
- AirX Bluetooth synchronisation for smartphones
- Large high-resolution display
- 90° tilt and 360° swivel
- Laser autofocus-assist lamp
- LED modelling lamp
- Automatic or manual zoom for flash and LED
- Different hotshoe versions for Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fujifilm
- 76Ws energy
- 9-stop manual power range
- 1-second flash recycle time
- Wireless range up to 300 metres (1000 ft)
- Profoto Air is 2.4GHz with 20 frequency channels
- Profoto AirX is Bluetooth with 40 frequency channels
- Battery capacity up to 450 full-power flashes
- Height 10.8cm
- Width 7.5cm
- Full length 16.5cm
- Weight 560 grams including battery
Pricing is £949 for the flash itself, or £1049 for a kit that includes a Profoto Connect trigger. US pricing is $1095 / $1195 and in Europe you can expect to pay €1075 / €1175, respectively. Pre-order now from Adorama and B&H Photo.
For more information, visit the Profoto A10 product page.