Korean lighting manufacturer SMDV has introduced the B360 TTL, an updated portable monolight to replace their BRiHT-360 ‘wireless portable strobe’.
Compared to the original, the SMDV B360 has ‘an improved program’ including TTL and HSS compatibility with Canon, Nikon, Sony and Fuji, and adds the ability to update firmware via Bluetooth.
The basic design of this battery flash is unchanged: 360Ws bare-bulb flash, LED modelling lamp, exchangeable lithium-ion batteries and compatibility with the SMDV Zoom Bounce focusable parabolic light modifiers. The form factor is modular, with a small proprietary accessory mount that is similar in some ways to the Godox AD300Pro or Jinbei HD-200 Pro; though the BRiHT-360 predates both of these. The SB-07 bracket provides support for Bowens S-type light modifiers and SMDV’s own quick-fold softboxes.
The BRiHT-360 was controlled via the FlashWave TX5 triggers, but the B360 now supports the SMDV B-Control system. This rationalises SMDV’s wireless flashes into one cross-compatible protocol. The B360 and the more powerful B500 AC/DC monolights can both now be triggered from the same B-Control transmitter. It supports four wireless groups (A/B/C/D) and 80 frequency channels on the 2.4GHz band.
If you already have a BRiHT-360, it can be upgraded to the new hardware, but only by an authorised SMDV dealer. This is done by replacing the control module on the rear of the unit: the BRiHT-360 has a white rear display panel whereas the newer B360 is black.
SMDV B360 TTL technical specifications
- 360Ws flash
- 7W LED modelling lamp (proportional, full, AF-assist modes)
- Flash modes: TTL / M / M+HSS / TTL+HSS / RPT (multi)
- Manual power to 1/128 in 1/3-stop increments
- TTL exposure control
- Sync speed 1/8000 second
- Integrated 2.4 GHz with 80 channels and 4 groups: A/B/C/D
- 0.05â€“2 second recycle time
- 14.4V 2,500mAh Li-ion battery, supports about 300 full-power flashes on one charge (takes about 1 hour 40 minutes to recharge)
- 1/200 to 1/10,000 second flash duration
- Supports B-Control, FlashWave-3 and FlashWave-4 triggers (only B-Control is TTL; others are manual only)
- Body dimensions 108 Ã— 200 Ã— 80mm
- Body weight about 1kg
- Battery weight about 0.25kg
For more information, visit the manufacturer’s web site or SMDV USA.