Yongnuo’s old but long-ranged trigger, the YN-16, pre-cursor to the 2.4GHz RF-602, has received an update. The main new feature seems to be the ability to wake up flashes from sleep mode. As you can see in the image above, the new version is branded “YN-16TM” and has a changed arrangement of hotshoe contacts on both the transmitter and receiver. The original YN-16 is no longer being made.
YN-16 TM is the upgraded version, and YN-16 is the older version, the quality of YN-16 TM is much better than YN-16.
…the one I listed in eBay is the new version, I just don’t name it as YN-16 TM.
We upgrade the older version of YN-16, and now it has more function and you can use it more efficient.
Other notable features (which appear to exist in both versions) include:
- Range of over 100m
- 2.5mm port on the receiver (unlike RF-602, which uses proprietary Yongnuo 3-pin port)
- Can be used as a remote shutter release, including autofocus. Versions available for most camera models.
- Hold down the button for 3s and shutter is locked, allowing bulb/continuous shooting. Press again to deactivate (on RF-602 you have to hold the button down continuously the whole time).
More info and links:
- YN-16TM product page
- YN-16 product page
- hkyongnuophotoequipment eBay listings for YN-16TM
- Some useful articles, mods and reviews on the original YN-16 (aka Phottix Strato) by Paulo Rodrigues
- Radio trigger comparison table